Saturday

Why I Detest Sprint


Here is an abbreviated transcript of my webchat with Sprint PCS. I called to change my cell phone number.

12:23:29 p.m.
Session Started with Agent (OpeaviaT)
Agent (OpeaviaT): "Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Opeavia. How may I assist you today?"
Shira *: I'd like to change my phone number to a local #.
Agent (OpeaviaT): I'll be glad to assist you. One moment while I access your account.
Shira *: Thank you. : )

(I begin humming, 'Henry the Eighth I am I am, Henry the Eighth I am'...)

Agent (OpeaviaT): For account verification, may I please have the 6-10 digit pin number on the account or could you please answer your security question for me?
Shira *: pin is XXX

Agent (OpeaviaT): I will be right with you.
Agent (OpeaviaT): Which number you want changed?
Shira *: the _ number
Agent (OpeaviaT): I apologize for the delay. I will be with you momentarily to program the phone."
Shira *: Okay, thank you. I'll go get my phone. : )

Agent (OpeaviaT): Is there a different area code in your local area from what you have now?
Shira *: Yes, the cell phones have a _ area code
Agent (OpeaviaT): The are codes that I have is 718, 917 and 347.
Shira *: I live in Maryland.
Agent (OpeaviaT): Which area code are you wanting use?
Shira *: XXX or whatever corresponds to my local area
Agent (OpeaviaT): Thank you. One moment.

(one moment took several minutes. i made coffee, had a cigarette, let the dog out, and did some paper shredding in my office)

Agent (OpeaviaT): Again I apologize for the delay. Make sure the phone is on the main screen showing the time and date.
Shira *: It is.
Agent (OpeaviaT): Press ##
Agent (OpeaviaT): Press the OK key. Svc Menu will appear on the phone display.
Agent (OpeaviaT): Using the scroll-down key, scroll down to highlight Edit and press the OK key. NAM CDMA along with Phone Number appears.
Shira *: "I press OK the first time and get my programmed phone list
Agent (OpeaviaT): Are you able to move to the next step. (with all my heart)
Agent (OpeaviaT): "?"

Shira *: "No"
Shira *: "There is no Svc Menu"

Agent (OpeaviaT): What type of phone do you have ?
Shira *: V1660 by Samsung

(several minutes pass. i'm twirling around in my executive chair shouting Wheee! I hate Sprint)

Agent (OpeaviaT): lets start over by pressing ##

(oh, great. starting over means i have time to surf the net for a burial plot)

Agent (OpeaviaT): Press the OK key. Svc Menu will appear on the phone display.
Shira *: "AHA!"
Agent (OpeaviaT): "Using the scroll-down key, scroll down to highlight Edit and press the OK key. NAM CDMA along with Phone Number appears."
Shira *: "yes"
Agent (OpeaviaT): "Enter 917 and press the OK key. NAM along with MSID appears."
Agent (OpeaviaT): "Enter (your phone #) and press the OK key. The display will show the SVC Menu."

(hold the phone!)

Shira *: "I thought 917 was a NY area code?"
Agent (OpeaviaT): "The area codes is based on your billing address."
Shira *: "My billing address is in Maryland, not NY."
Agent (OpeaviaT): "That is correct ."

(frustration mounts)

Shira *: "I want a Maryland phone number. We don't have a billing address in NYC."
Agent (OpeaviaT): These are codes that I have 718, 917 and 347.

Shira *: Please escalate this call. I should be able to change my phone number and not pay NY taxes when I live and am billed in MD. You (and the computer system) should be able to see that we live and are billed in MD.

Agent (OpeaviaT): The system generates the information however if you want a 718 area code I will make the change.
Shira *: No! I want a phone number that is local to where I actually live, with a prefix of XXX.
(now I get smart)
Shira *: Tell me what billing address you have for me.

Agent (OpeaviaT): "We have (deleted). One moment while we fix this issue."
Shira *: "Yes, that address is correct."

Agent (OpeaviaT): "May I have a land line number in the area code that you are requesting?"
Shira *: "What do you mean a land line # - do you mean my home telephone number?"

Agent (OpeaviaT): "yes that is correct."
Shira *: "it is XXX"

Agent (OpeaviaT): "All right your new number is XXX."
Shira *: "Yayyy!"
Agent (OpeaviaT): "Are you ready to program this number to this phone?"
Shira *: "Yes!" (umm, no, lets chat some more while my kid grows up and marries)

Agent (OpeaviaT): "Press ##
Agent (OpeaviaT): "Press the OK key. Svc Menu will appear on the phone display."
Shira *: "my phone shut off - one moment"
Shira *: "ok"
Agent (OpeaviaT): "Using the scroll-down key, scroll down to highlight Edit and press the OK key. NAM CDMA along with Phone Number appears."
Agent (OpeaviaT): "Please put for the MDN."
Agent (OpeaviaT): "Please put for the MSID."
Agent (OpeaviaT): "Then Scroll down to down to Done."
Agent (OpeaviaT): "How did this work for you today?"
Shira *: Seems to be great.

The call began at 12:23:29 p.m and ended at 1:48:50 p.m.
This constitutes one hour and thirty minutes of my life that I can never get back.

Have you had a run-in with Sprint's famous service? let's hear about it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Over the years we have had numerous run-ins with Sprint; however, these have been blocked from my memory due to a self-preservation instinct encoded into my DNA through millions of years of evolution. Wes hates them and is just waiting for the SECOND our contract expires so we can get someone new (now that phone #s are actually transferable). Since I never have to deal with them even though the account is in my name, I'm actually okay with them. However, I am using my original Sprint phone, which I got with my service back in approximately 1999. I'm afraid to tell anyone that the voice mail notification light decided to stop working about a week ago. I wouldn't want to rock the universe or anything.