Thursday

I'd rather clean toilets...

I ended my post on Saturday with the question, Who could ask for more than that?

I'm asking for more than that. Pardon me while I eat crow.

This morning my son ran to the mailbox and in an unusual gesture brought me the local newspaper just as I was leaving for work. I now consider this an obvious omen.

I admit I've been struggling at work. Oh I was prepped to deal with the demands of tax season; anyone who has ever picked up their taxes from an accountant can see the strain on everyone's faces. That's not what I'm talking about. Indulge me.

The world is the way it is; relationships, work, traffic, child rearing, lines at the grocery store/bank/movie theatre. Day to day life in general.
I get it.
But I still have to ask, what is it inside some human beings that makes them think it appropriate to vent their frustrations on the nearest person? how does one's so-called business 'style' grow over time from 'happy naive business owner' to 'complete and utter asshole'? My boss may be all dat but I"m certain there isn't a bag of chips in sight.

I'd use the term mein kampf here but i'd hate for the fbi to tag my blog. (I'm just a homemaker!)

Anyone remember the movie scene when Bridget Jones tells boss Daniel Cleaver that she'd rather wipe Saddam Hussein's arse than work for him? Hm. good girl. Me too.

Back to my struggle to understand human nature.

See, it's not just the stress, the angry clients storming out of the office, angry hang ups, the total lack of understanding that Gary can't come out of his office every time a client arrives, or that I'm suspected of being incapable of accepting an e-file document in case I lose it, thus screwing up someone's life. Nor any of the other hundred ridiculous stresses that I managed beautifully these last two weeks.

It's the latitude that my boss gives himself to be a royal shit -- because it's tax season.
Well, it was tax season for me, too, this year. I didn't crit anyone's work in public. I didn't storm out of a cave demanding to know what my receptionist just told a client about our business hours when he's never once been clear about it, despite asking.

And of course he tried to launch the 'you are so unprofessional' tirade when I told him I was quitting. Well, at least he didn't get away with it. He's supposed to be leading the office and the most he's done is behave in a way that makes me question whether he's got all his light bulbs screwed in. I busted hump and am proud of the work I did. There.

So, back to the job hunt. For now though, I'm going to go eat my lunch. It's a turkey club sandwich with bacon and lots of yummy mayonnaise. And just for today I'm giving myself a 45 minute break.
------------------------
just found this in my email inbox. Heh.

April 1, 2008
VERY FLEXIBLE HOURS!!
Insurance Processor
Administrative/Clerical Data Processing Insurance
Highly Automated Insurance office needing to fill two Part time positions. We have flexible hours, you tell us when you want to work and we will work around your schedule!! Mornings, Afternoons, Nights, Weekends, 3-4 hours a day or 8 hour days 2-3 days a week, YOU TELL US WHAT YOU CAN WORK!! Must have basic office and computer skills and a high willingness to learn. We are willing to teach anyone our system!!! NO INSURANCE EXPERIENCE NEEDED!!! Potential for advancement and more money for the right person. Please stop by the office to fill out an application. Bring your resume and be prepared for a possible interview and we will be glad to go over the job specifications.

Company Name:
Sierra Vista Insurance Agency Inc
Location:
Sierra Vista
Available:
Immediately Part Time.
Pay:
$8.00 per hour
Posted:
3/29/2008

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on quitting. Most bosses are sh*ts to begin with. Who needs one who's a double sh*t?

Shira said...

I'm so unprofessional that I cleaned up all my work and labeled everything that was in process. There was nothing left on my desk when I went into Gary's office.

I am soo steamed right now. I hate being in a situation where all I do all day is assert my boundaries. Eventually you're just on the defensive.

When he asked me why I was leaving I told him. Then I added, 'There is nothing I can do for you. That, and as each day passes I can feel myself becoming dumber and dumber.'

::Heh::